Have You Been Charged With A Serious Crime?

Key facts about the ignition interlock device

On Behalf of | Mar 28, 2018 | Blog

When people drive under the influence of any substance, they put themselves and everyone around them in danger. For this reason, lawmakers are cracking down on those convicted of DUI charges; such parties face strong penalties, such as license suspension. 

However, mistakes happen, and those who truly learn from their wrongdoings may be able to gain back their driving privileges. In certain cases, an ignition interlock device is an integral part of the process.

The device

A certified installer attaches the ignition interlock device to the car system. It includes a breathing tube that drivers must breathe into before starting the vehicle. As long as the driver’s blood alcohol level is below 0.025%, the vehicle will start; otherwise, the device will lock the system and prevent the vehicle from running. Along with having to provide a breath sample to start the vehicle, the device may prompt drivers for another sample during the course of a trip. If the driver does not provide the sample or the blood alcohol level is too high, the device will cause the vehicle to begin to make noise, either from the alarm or horn, until the driver pulls over and turns off the vehicle.

Cost and installation

The price of the device ranges depending on the vendor that provides it. Drivers must pay for the installation, removal, and a monthly fee for having the device. On average, the installation and removal are around $200, and the monthly fee costs approximately $100. Those who cannot afford the device may submit an application for the court to waive the fee. Drivers must install the device within 10 days of their conviction and must install it on all vehicles they use on a regular basis.

This is a brief overview of the ignition interlock device. If you are facing a DUI charge and desire to maintain your driving privileges, it may be helpful to understand this process. Take some time to review the law and consider consulting with an attorney.