Have You Been Charged With A Serious Crime?

How drunk driving can affect your education

On Behalf of | Jun 5, 2020 | College Student Criminal Defense, DWI

You made a mistake. You had one too many drinks and decided to take yourself home. You are now facing a DWI.

It’s important that you understand how those charges can change your life, including your education. If you are entering college or are a college student, be sure to prepare yourself for the consequences that may follow. Here are some ways you may see the impact of a criminal record.

Trouble getting into schools

A criminal record, which includes a DWI charge, can have a big impact on the college admissions process. Some universities have policies that allow them to deny applicants because they have a criminal record. Even if they don’t have a policy specifically addressing criminal records, a DWI can still weigh on their considerations and be a factor against your acceptance.

Financial aid denial

You may also lose financial aid opportunities, either from private institutions or from the government. If you get a DWI after you have already received financial aid and scholarships, they can still face rejection on account of your criminal record.

Expulsion, suspension, probation

Universities typically have a Student Code of Conduct, which outlines the expectations for how you will act during your time as a student. This code will often say that students cannot go against federal and local laws, as well as other school-specific regulations. It also gives them the power to penalize you for things like drunk driving as they see fit, even if law enforcement dismisses charges. They can expel, suspend or place probation on you as they decide is necessary.

Removal from extracurriculars

Even if you are not expelled, suspended or put on probation, you can still be penalized for a DWI by removal from extracurriculars, either by your school or by the organizations. This can include clubs, honors societies and Greek societies.

If you are facing DWI charges, you should always talk to an attorney. They will be able to help you prepare for the impact that such a charge can have on your life, including your education.