Criminal Defense For College Students
Every year, tens of thousands of students attend colleges and universities in Syracuse and the surrounding area. Away from home and on their own — often for the first time — college students can easily find themselves in trouble with the law.
If you are a college student or the parent of a college student who has been accused of any criminal offense, from drunk driving to drug possession to rape, it is important to speak to an experienced criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible.
Protecting Your Future
As a Syracuse criminal defense attorney who is committed to defending college students, I understand that a criminal conviction can have a devastating effect on your future. I will work to prevent or minimize any negative consequences you might face.
A criminal record can limit your future job opportunities, prevent you from obtaining a professional license and possibly jeopardize your student aid. Because there is no procedure for expungement, a criminal conviction in New York will be with you for life.
After three decades of practicing law, I have earned a solid reputation in both the justice system and the communities in and around Syracuse. I have a record of achieving positive outcomes for my clients. Do not let criminal charges taint a future that is only just beginning.
Effective Criminal Defense for College and University Students
As an experienced attorney, I provide dedicated defense against all types of criminal charges that college students may face, including:
- DWI/DUI — New York’s zero tolerance policy for minors means significant penalties.
- Other traffic violations (reckless driving, driving on a suspended license)
- Drug crimes — from simple possession to more serious charges, including charges relating to prescription drugs
- Underage drinking — a common concern on college campuses
- Fake IDs — these can result in felony charges and college disciplinary hearings
- Shoplifting, robbery and vandalism
- Violent crimes, including sexual assault and rape
- Harassment, stalking and disobeying orders for protection
- Internet crimes (gambling, fraud, harassment, pornography, etc).
- Resisting arrest, criminal contempt and disorderly conduct
- Prostitution, solicitation and related offenses
We expect college students to begin taking on adult responsibilities. However, they are still prone to making poor decisions without thinking of the long-term consequences. If you are the parent of a college student who is in trouble, I can help provide an effective defense against many common charges. I also work closely with parents who have children attending area colleges from out of state.
Don’t Let One Mistake Put Your Future at Risk
I will clearly explain your legal situation, the steps in the legal process and your options. I will work to get the charges against you dismissed or reduced and explore options that could allow you to move forward without the burden of a criminal record.